SMITH RETURNS FOR SEATON SLUICE CLASH


Rothbury v Seaton Sluice
Northern Football Alliance
Team Valley Carpets Division Two
Saturday 2nd February 2019, kick-off 2pm.

MATCH SPONSOR: James Gutherson, JWG Coaches, Thropton



Big Kyle Smith has served his three-game ban and will return to the Rothbury squad for the visit of Seaton Sluice on Saturday.
The powerful midfielder feels he has a point to prove and has been berating himself for allowing off-the-field antics to affect his performances.
I won’t lie - I haven’t been to watch the lads play or even trained since picking up my suspension as I’ve been furious with myself and physically I can’t watch without getting annoyed that I’m not able to play due to a moment of madness,” admitted Smith.
“Saturday will be a big one for me as even prior to my suspension I wasn’t myself on the pitch. I was letting things outside of football get in my head like partying and women. I feel a bit like George Best. But I’ve put my dummy back in and am determined to get back to playing to the ability that I can play,” he said, in a brutally honest assessment.
“I just want to try and do my bit to help the lads to do as well as we can this season.”
Boss Dan Herron is pleased with the return of the influential midfielder to the side and feels that it is good news for both the team and the dressing room.
The gaffer has done his homework and will not be taking the visit of Seaton Sluice lightly, despite their misleading 11th placed spot in the table.
“We definitely won’t be taking anything for granted - Seaton Sluice seem like the form team in the league, so it will be a difficult fixture for us, I think,” he said.
The Beresford Road outfit have won five of their last six games, banging in 24 goals in the process, so Rothbury’s 5-1 win at the side back in September will have little baring on the fixture.
“It seems to have happened to us this season though - playing teams when they’re bang in form, like Crammy Town, Willington Quay and Crammy Utd. So we’ve had to really earn our points this season, and Saturday will be no different,” continued Herron.
Everyone wants to beat top of the league, so we’ve become the scalp to have,” he admitted, while also calling for the fans to make their way down to Armstrong Park in numbers to provide the vocal support that the club – and players – highly appreciate.
“Hopefully we can make it three wins in a row and protect our unbeaten league home form. There may be the odd one or two away but other than that we’ll be at full strength, and we hope to see another big home crowd there.

Comments